Ever skipped over an article because it was too long?
Zoned out on an online presentation after the first five minutes?
If you need short, detailed APA format information, APA Style CENTRAL is the place for you! Located under the green LEARN tab on the APA Style CENTRAL navigation bar, the Learning Center includes 66 Quick Guides—brief (2-5 minute) videos combining voice-over, animation, and display results in “real time.”
In this series within the Off Campus Library Services (OCLS) series, Jule Kind, Director of Off Campus Library Services (OCLS), and fellow librarians share about multiple facets of APA Style CENTRAL. OCLS functions within Jackson Library to provide a variety of research tools for onsite and online students in the College of Adult and Professional Studies (CAPS).
Quick Guides are listed in alphabetical order, perfect for visual and auditory learners. Each guide contains a short description of the information the video covers, provides a link to a transcript, and links to the APA Publication Manual and Style Guide to Electronic References should users need more information.
Topic Areas for Students
- Struggling with putting references in the right order?
- Suggest the Alphabetizing the Reference List Quick Guide.
- Seeing papers with reference lists but no matching citations?
- Point your students to the Citing References in Text Quick Guide.
- Struggling to understand the difference between quoting and putting an author’s words or ideas into their own words?
- The Direct Quotations and Paraphrasing Quick Guide could be a big help.
- Challenged with creating their running head correctly?
- Send them to the Running Head Quick Guide.
- Certain sources where they are grappling with correct formatting?
- There are Quick Guides for books, magazines, journal articles, personal communications, secondary sources, technical or research reports, or websites.
- Missing points because of incorrect punctuation?
- Steer them towards the Quick Guides on quotation marks, slashes, parentheses and brackets, hyphens, use of italics, commas and semicolons, colons, capitalization, or abbreviations.
Adding Quick Guides to Your Course
What’s even better is that Quick Guides can be added to online classrooms by copying and pasting video links or grabbing a video embed code! Feel free to contact Off Campus Library Services (OCLS) for help adding Quick Guides to your course. Our librarians are available to add links or embed videos directly into assignments, discussion forums, or wherever the instructor would like.
Ask an OCLS Librarian!
For more information on APA Style CENTRAL, APA format, using the online library, or for search help, faculty and students can contact Off Campus Library Services. Call 1-800-521-1848, email [email protected], or fill out an online request form. OCLS is here to serve you!
Question: What Quick Guides would strengthen your course? Please leave a comment below.
Related APA Style CENTRAL Posts
- Off Campus Library Services: Empowering Students Through APA Style CENTRAL
- Off Campus Library Services: What Is APA Style CENTRAL?